Bahrain king declares state of emergency after protests

March 15, 2011

The king of Bahrain has declared a three-month state of emergency, state TV reports, following weeks of pro-democracy protests in the kingdom. It comes a day after troops from neighbouring Gulf states were sent to Bahrain to help deal with the unrest. Protesters have blocked all roads leading to the capital’s financial centre, the scene of clashes on Sunday that left more than 200 people wounded. At least two people have been killed in Tuesday’s clashes, reports say. One is reported to be a member of the Bahraini security forces killed in clashes with thousands of protesters in Maamee, state television and the information ministry said. Another Bahraini was also killed in clashes in nearby Sitra, reports said. “People are coming in with bullet wounds and injuries caused by rubber bullets. There are hundreds of people,” he said. “We received one major case – a man whose skull had been split open by something.”

>>> continued on bahrain page <<<

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s