“Libya and the suspicious rush to war”

March 21, 2011

Allied forces carrying out air strikes in Libya say Colonel Muammar Gaddafi himself is not a target, despite an overnight attack against his compound. The chief of UK armed forces said attacks on Libya’s leader were “not allowed” under a UN resolution calling for the protection of Libyan civilians. And a French spokesman said that even if the Libyan leader’s exact location was known, he would not be fired on. Col Gaddafi has been fighting a rebellion that broke out last month. On Sunday UK Defence Secretary Liam Fox said targeting Col Gaddafi could “potentially be a possibility”. But on Monday Britain’s Chief of Defence Staff, Sir David Richards, said he was “absolutely not” a target. “It’s not allowed under the UN resolution,” he added. The document, approved by the Security Council last week, authorises “all necessary measures” to protect civilians from pro-Gaddafi forces – including a no-fly zone.

>>> continued on libya page <<<

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s