Going Rogue – War Crimes in Libya by – Susan Lindauer
It’s a story CNN won’t report. Late at night there’s a pounding on the door in Misurata. Armed soldiers force young Libyan women out of their beds at gun-point. Hustling the women and teenagers into trucks, the soldiers rush the women to gang bang parties for NATO rebels—or else rape them in front of their husbands or fathers. When NATO rebels finish their rape sport, the soldiers cut the women’s throats.
Rapes are now ongoing acts of war in rebel-held cities, like an organised military strategy, according to refugees. Joanna Moriarty, who’s part of a global fact-finding delegation visiting Tripoli this week, also reports that NATO rebels have gone house to house through Misurata, asking families if they support NATO. If the families say no, they are killed on the spot. If families say they want to stay out of the fighting, NATO rebels take a different approach to scare other families. The doors of “neutral homes” are welded shut, Moriarty says, trapping families inside. In Libyan homes, windows are typically barred. So when the doors to a family compound get welded shut, Libyans are entombed in their own houses, where NATO forces can be sure large families will slowly starve to death.
These are daily occurrences, not isolated events. And Gadhaffi’s soldiers are not responsible. In fact, pro-Gadhaffi and “neutral” families are targeted as the victims of the attacks. Some of the NATO tactics may have occurred in hopes of laying blame on Gadhaffi’s door. However the attacks are back firing.
Click here to continue Reading
Nato bomb ‘kills nine Libyan civilians’ as stray air strike is blamed on ‘system failure’
June 20, 2011
A Nato air strike hit a civilian house in Tripoli and killed nine residents, the Libyan regime said yesterday. Nato admitted on Sunday that its weapons destroyed a house in Tripoli in an incident likely to sow new doubts inside the alliance about its mission in Libya. The strike on the house was the clearest case yet of a bombing causing multiple civilian casualties, and comes at a time when the alliance is already under strain from a campaign that is taking more time and resources than its backers had expected. Nato last night admitted that a ‘weapons system failure’ may have been responsible for a missile going astray.
Nato spokesman Wing Commander Mike Bracken said: ‘The intended target was a military missile site. ‘However from our initial assessment of the facts it appears that one weapons did not strike the intended target due to a weapons system malfunction. ‘Nato regrets the loss of innocent civilian lives and takes great care in conducting strikes against a regime determined to use violence against its own citizens. ‘Although we are still determining the specifics of this event, indications are that a weapons system failure may have caused this incident.’ ‘There was intentional and deliberate targeting of the civilian houses,’ deputy foreign minister Khaled Kaim said. ‘This is another sign of the brutality of the West.’
Nato has been pounding targets in Libya for months in what the alliance says is an operation to protect civilians who rebelled against Colonel Gaddafi’s 41-year rule. Strains are appearing within Nato member states as the campaign drags on for longer than most of its backers anticipated and Gaddafi remains in power – even making a show of defiance last week by playing chess with a visiting official.