#Terrorist Attack in New York – September 18, 2016

160917233934-13-chelsea-explosion-gettyimages-607368878-large-169

—————————————————————————–

—————————————————————————–

BBC News

At least 29 wounded in New York City explosion

September 18, 2016

At least 29 people have been injured in an explosion in the Chelsea district of New York City, officials say. The cause of the blast late on Saturday remains unclear. Mayor Bill de Blasio described it as “intentional” but said that there were no known terror links. He also said there was no evidence of a link to a pipe bomb explosion in neighbouring New Jersey hours earlier. None of the injuries is life-threatening but one is serious, the fire comissioner said. The explosion in New York occurred around 21:00 (01:00 GMT on Sunday). Witnesses said people ran in all directions following the “incredibly loud” blast.

Chelsea, one of the most fashionable districts of Manhattan, has bars and restaurants that are crowded in the weekend. Mr de Blasio said: “We do not see a link to terrorism.” He said it was too early to determine the cause but added: “We believe it was intentional.” Unconfirmed reports said the blast went off in a dustbin, shattering windows in a nearby building. Several blocks have been closed down by police. The New York Police Counterterrorism Bureau confirmed that it was investigating and shared an image on Twitter that appeared to show a damaged dustbin.

Visit source for more on this story

SOURCE = BBC News

—————————————————————————–

—————————————————————————–

guardian logo

Manhattan explosion: 25 injured after blast ‘like a volcano’ rocks New York

September 18, 2016

Twenty-five people have been taken to hospital after an explosion in the Chelsea area of Manhattan, New York authorities said on Saturday. One witness told the Guardian the blast was “like a volcano”, producing a wall of flame that sent people “running for their lives”. Mayor of New York City, Bill de Blasio, told a media conference that “we do not see a link to terrorism at this moment” but he added that the authorities believed the blast was nevertheless an “intentional act”. In Colorado, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump spoke before any official confirmation of what had happened when he told reporters there had been a bomb in New York City, which proved “we better get real tough, folks”.

“Explosion happened at roughly 8.30pm on 23rd street between 6th and 7th avenues,” J Peter Donald, NYPD assistant commissioner for communication and public information, said in a tweet confirming the explosion. “Several injured transported to area hospitals.” The New York fire department subsequently said in a tweet that 25 people had been injured, none seriously. The office of the mayor of New York City, Bill de Blasio, said he was on his way to the scene. President Barack Obama, who was attending a congressional dinner in Washington, “has been apprised of the explosion in New York City, the cause of which remains under investigation”, a White House official said. “The president will be updated as additional information becomes available,” the official added.  Dozens of emergency vehicles were in the area, which is busy and home to many restaurants. Donald subsequently said in a tweet that West 27th Str

Visit source for more on this story

SOURCE = Guardian

—————————————————————————–

—————————————————————————–

logo-foxnews

Explosion in New York City believed to be ‘intentional,’ mayor says; 29 injured

September 17, 2016

An explosion that injured at least 29 people in New York City late Saturday appeared to be “intentional,” Mayor Bill de Blasio announced, as sources told Fox News an apparent explosive device — a pressure cooker — was found four blocks away. The blast, on West 23rd Street in the city’s Chelsea neighborhood, appeared to originate from a construction toolbox in front of a building, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press. A garbage can was found mangled nearby. Police would not give any more details about the device found on West 27th Street. Fox News was told there had been no prior intelligence suggesting Saturday’s events may have been imminent. Sources also said it did not appear to be a gas explosion.

The FBI and New York Police Department would not rule out terrorism as a possible factor but said it was too early to determine the exact cause, law enforcement sources told Fox News. Police did not say whether they had any potential suspects. Police counterterrorism officers, a bomb squad and firefighters rushed to the scene. Investigators said 24 people were hospitalized, with one of them hurt “seriously” by a puncture wound. “All hands are on deck,” de Blasio said at a news conference Saturday night. All of the injured were expected to survive, the FDNY reported.  The explosion shattered windows at a nearby home for the blind, The New York Post added.

Visit source for more on this story

SOURCE = Fox News

—————————————————————————–

—————————————————————————–

CNN

New York explosion leaves dozens injured

September 17, 2016

At least 24 of those injured in the explosion have been hospitalized, the fire department says. The investigation into what caused the explosion, who is behind it and what damage it has caused is ongoing, New York officials say. NYPD Commisioner James O’Neill says they believe the explosion took place on the street. Officials say they believe the explosion was intentional and urged anyone with information on what they saw, or anyone with pertinent photos from the scene, to come forward. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo released a following statement on the explosion in the Chelsea neighborhood of New York City.
“State officials are coordinating our response with federal and New York City authorities, and full state resources have been made available for this investigation,” Cuomo said. “We are closely monitoring the situation and urge New Yorkers to, as always, remain calm and vigilant.”
He said the PATH station at 23rd Street is closed for previously-announced weekend closures. “We are in close contact with health providers to monitor the extent of the injuries and will provide information as it becomes available.” Subway service in New York has been disrupted on the 1, 2, E and F lines following the explosion, the New York Police Department Counterterrorism Bureau says.

Visit source for more on this story

SOURCE = CNN

—————————————————————————–

—————————————————————————–

radio-australia

New York explosion: 29 injured as blast rattles Manhattan suburb of Chelsea

September 18, 2016

New York mayor Bill de Blasio says there is “no evidence of a terror connection” and no evidence of a threat to the city after an explosion in a dumpster injured 29 people. New York mayor Bill de Blasio says there is “no evidence of a terror connection” and no evidence of a threat to the city after an explosion in a Manhattan dumpster injured 29 people. The blast occurred at about 8:30pm (local time) between 6th Avenue and 7th Avenue on 23rd Street, a major east-west thoroughfare in the fashionable downtown neighbourhood, J Peter Donald, a deputy commissioner with the New York Police Department, said on Twitter. “Several injured transported to area hospitals,” he wrote. Mr de Blasio said it appeared the explosion was an “intentional act”, but the cause of the explosion had not yet been determined.

The mayor also confirmed there was a second site in Manhattan also under investigation near the site of the blast. At least three people were seen being taken away from the apparent scene of the blast in ambulances on Saturday night, but the severity of their injuries was not immediately clear. A car seen driving through the area had its rear window blown out. Earlier that morning a pipe bomb exploded along the route of a New Jersey charity race to benefit military veterans, an incident investigators are treating as a possible act of terrorism. Mr de Blasio said there was no specific evidence that the two incidents were related.

Visit source for more on this story

SOURCE = Radio Australia

—————————————————————————–

—————————————————————————–

ITV

FBI and counter-terror police investigate as blast rocks New York street, injuring 29

September 18, 2016

At least 29 people have been injured in an explosion which rocked part of New York City in what officials believe was an “intentional” attack. The blast left debris scattered across the road at the junction of 23rd Street and 6th Avenue in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighbourhood shortly before 9pm local time (2am BST) on Saturday night.The New York City Fire Department (FDNY) said 24 people had been transported to hospital. None of the injuries are believed to be life threatening, though one is in a “serious” condition. The source of the explosion is not yet known. The FDNY reported evidence of an “explosive device” at the scene, while an official told Reuters news agency they were considering the possibility it was accidentally caused by construction explosives. Police said initial investigations suggest the blast may have originated in a dustbin nearby, taking to Twitter a picture of a bin which appeared to have been mangled in the blast.

Addressing the media, city Mayor Bill de Blasio described it as a “very serious incident”. He said there was “no evidence at this point” that the blast was “related to terrorism”, but said investigators believe it was “intentional” – and ruled out early speculation that it may be linked to a natural gas leak. he early indications is this was an intentional act. I want to assure all New Yorkers that the NYPD and all other agencies are on full alert.

– Mayor Bill de Blasio The FBI and members of the Joint Terrorism Task Force were also on the scene. A possible second device was located at 27th Street, between 6th and 7th Avenues, according to police officials. A wide cordon was put in place.

 

Visit source for more on this story

SOURCE = ITV News

—————————————————————————–

—————————————————————————–

CBS News

Explosion rocks New York City

September 18, 2016

NEW YORK An explosion shook a New York City neighborhood Saturday night, leaving more than two dozen people injured. The blast occurred on West 23rd Street in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood shortly after 8:30 p.m. Numerous people were sharing images and video of the massive emergency response on social media. New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said it was too early to determine what caused the explosion, but early indications are that it was an “intentional act.” However, de Blasio said it there was no evidence of a terrorism connection as of late Saturday night. Still, law enforcement sources told CBS News the Joint Terrorism Task Force is ramping up operations in New York. NYPD commissioner James O’Neill, who just took over command of the police department Friday, said investigators have ruled out a natural gas explosion. Sources told CBS News the explosion occurred in a dumpster.

Twenty-nine people were hurt in the explosion, including one considered seriously injured, officials said. “This is a very dense area, the whole block is restaurants and residences and this area on a warm Saturday night is an area swarming with people,” New York City Councilman Cory Johnson told 1010 WINS. Johnson, who represents the area, said that FBI and federal Homeland Security officials were on the scene, in addition to New York City police. NYPD Special Operations tweeted that a possible second device was being investigated on 27th Street.

Visit source for more on this story

SOURCE = CBS News

—————————————————————————–

—————————————————————————–

abc news

Explosion That Injured at Least 29 an ‘Intentional Act,’ New York City Mayor Says

September 17, 2016

An explosion in New York City’s Chelsea neighborhood that injured at least 29 people appears to have been “an intentional act,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said, and a possible second device was located several blocks away. The mayor said that although investigators believe it was intentional, there appeared to be no link to terrorism. The cause of explosion has not been determined, said New York City police commissioner James O’Neill. There is no credible threat to the safety of New Yorkers, the officials added.

The “large explosion” was reported shortly before 9 p.m. on 23rd Street between Sixth and Seventh avenues, according to police. Of the injuries, one is considered to be serious, said O’Neill. Officials said the NYPD has video it is reviewing and De Blasio urged any witnesses or people who may have information to come forward. Two law enforcement sources said the explosion occurred in a dumpster, and the NYPD Counterterrorism Bureau tweeted a photo of a mangled dumpster, after tweeting that they were responding to an explosion at West 23rd Street and Sixth Avenue.

 

SOURCE = ABC News

—————————————————————————–

—————————————————————————–

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s