21 Saudi Military Cadets Deported from America Related to Child Porn and Terrorism

———————————————————————————

US expels 21 Saudi military cadets after gun attack

January 14, 2020

Twenty-one members of the Saudi military are being expelled from the US after a cadet carried out a mass shooting at a air base last month. The servicemen are not accused of aiding the 21-year old Saudi Air Force lieutenant. But US Attorney General William Barr said the cadets were found to have had jihadist material and indecent images of children in their possession. Three sailors were killed and eight wounded in the 6 December attack. Training for Saudi servicemen was put on hold in the US after the attack.

Mr Barr told a news conference on Monday that the shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola had been an “act of terrorism”. He said he had asked Apple to unlock two iPhones that belonged to the gunman, who was killed by police in the attack. The gunman fired a bullet into one phone in an effort to destroy it, Mr Barr said, but FBI investigators were able to restore the device.

“We have asked Apple for their help in unlocking the shooter’s iPhones,” Mr Barr said.” So far Apple has not given us any substantive assistance.”

Apple had given the FBI iCloud data from the attacker’s online account, the New York Times reported, but refused to unlock the phone, saying it would undermine their own encryption software. The tech firm has clashed previously with the FBI over requests to unlock iPhones belonging to terror suspects. A similar 2016 clash was resolved when the FBI found a way to unlock a phone belonging to a mass shooter in California without help from Apple. Mr Barr said that initial reports that other Saudi cadets had filmed the attack as it unfolded were inaccurate. The gunman had arrived at the scene of the shooting alone, he said.

SOURCE = BBC News

———————————————————————————

———————————————————————————

US expels 21 Saudi cadets after Florida naval base attack probe

January 14, 2020

Twenty-one Saudi military cadets undergoing training in the United States will be sent back to Saudi Arabia following an investigation into the fatal shooting of three Americans by a Saudi officer at a Florida naval base that US Attorney General William Barr on Monday branded as an “act of terrorism”. Saudi Air Force Second Lieutenant Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, 21, killed three sailors and wounded eight others before being fatally shot by a deputy sheriff during the December 6 incident at the facility in Pensacola, Florida, an official said. The attack brought fresh complications to US-Saudi relations at a time of heightened tensions between the US and Iran, Saudi Arabia’s regional rival.

“This was an act of terrorism,” Barr said. “The evidence showed that the shooter was motivated by jihadist ideology. During the course of the investigation, we learned that the shooter posted a message on September 11 of this year stating, ‘The countdown has begun.'” Barr added that Alshamrani also visited the New York City memorial to the victims of the September 11, 2001, attacks on the US and posted anti-American, anti-Israeli and “jihadi messages” on social media, including two hours before the attack. Barr said 21 Saudi cadets were “disenrolled from their training curriculum” in the US military and would leave the US later on Monday after an investigation showed they either had child pornography or social media accounts containing “jihadi messages” and anti-American content.

SOURCE = Al Jazeera

———————————————————————————

———————————————————————————

DOJ Says 21 Saudi Cadets Being Expelled From U.S. Over Extremist, Child Porn Content

January 14, 2020

Attorney General William Barr announced Monday that 21 Saudi military cadets studying at U.S. military bases are being sent back to their home country after investigators found child pornography, “jihadi or anti-American content” on accounts or devices associated with the students. The announcement comes a month after a Saudi national opened fire in a classroom at a naval base in Pensacola, Fla., killing three young sailors and wounding eight others. “This was an act of terrorism,” Barr said, adding that the shooter was “motivated by jihadist ideology.”

Federal authorities said Monday that investigators have not identified any co-conspirators in the attack. The gunman does not appear to have acted on behalf of any terrorist organization. “Social media attributed to the shooter suggests that he harbored anti-U.S. military and anti-Israel sentiments,” said FBI Deputy Director David Bowdich, “and that he thought violence was necessary to defend Muslim countries.” The incident renewed scrutiny of foreign military exchange programs. Some 850 Saudi trainees currently study alongside U.S. military personnel under such programs, but federal officials halted all Saudis training in the U.S. in the wake of the shooting.

Of the 21 Saudis now in the process of being removed from the U.S., investigators found that 17 had shared social media posts that were either jihadi or anti-American in nature, Barr said. About 15 individuals had “some kind of contact” with child pornography, Barr noted. “While one of these individuals had a significant number of such images, all the rest had one or two images, in most cases posted in a chat room by some other person or received over social media,” Barr said. The move by the U.S. was made in consultation with the Saudi government. Barr said federal prosecutors did not find that any of the material unearthed or actions by the 21 Saudi trainees rose to the level of criminal charges in the United States.

SOURCE = NPR

———————————————————————————

———————————————————————————

US expels 21 Saudi military cadets after ‘act of terrorism’ by Saudi officer

January 14, 2020

Terrorist – Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, 21

The United States says it is sending 21 Saudi military cadets back to the kingdom after its probe finds last month’s fatal shooting by a Saudi officer as an “act of terrorism.” Attorney General William Barr said on Monday the evidence shows the shooter was motivated by extremist ideology. Barr also said that 21 Saudi cadets have been expelled following an investigation into the fatal shooting and will be sent home. He added that the military trainees possessed child pornography and other extremist materials. “The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia determined that this material demonstrated conduct unbecoming an officer in the Saudi Royal Air Force and Royal Navy and the 21 cadets have been dis-enrolled from their training curriculum in the US military and will be returning to Saudi Arabia later today,” Barr said.

He said that the “evidence shows that the shooter was motivated” by extremist ideology.

Last December, second Lieutenant Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani killed three American sailors and wounded eight other people at the Pensacola Naval Air Station before being shot dead by police. Following the deadly shooting, US President Donald Trump’s Republican allies condemned the attack as an act of terrorism, and called for a halt to the training program that admitted the shooter and called on the Saudi government to cooperate in the investigation, according to The Washington Post. But Trump used his appearances before television cameras and on social media to repeatedly offer cover for the Saudis.

SOURCE = Press TV

———————————————————————————

———————————————————————————

After Florida killings, Saudis withdraw 21 cadets from United States

January 14, 2020

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Saudi Arabia will withdraw 21 cadets receiving military training in the United States following a U.S. investigation into a Saudi officer’s fatal shooting of three Americans at a Florida naval base that U.S. Attorney General William Barr on Monday branded an act of terrorism. The Dec. 6 attack further complicated U.S.-Saudi relations at a time of heightened tensions between the United States and Iran, Saudi Arabia’s regional rival. A deputy sheriff shot dead the gunman, Saudi Air Force Second Lieutenant Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, in the Pensacola, Florida, incident.

“This was an act of terrorism,” Barr said. “The evidence showed that the shooter was motivated by jihadist ideology. During the course of the investigation, we learned that the shooter posted a message on Sept. 11 of this year stating, ‘The countdown has begun.’”

Barr provided previously undisclosed details about Alshamrani’s actions before the shooting. Barr said 21 Saudi cadets were “disenrolled from their training curriculum” in the U.S. military and would leave the United States later on Monday after an investigation showed they either had child pornography or social media accounts containing Islamic extremist or anti-American content. He indicated that it was Saudi Arabia that withdrew the cadets, rather than the United States formally expelling them, and said the Saudi authorities told him they would consider filing criminal charges against them. A Justice Department official, briefing reporters on condition of anonymity, said U.S. officials agreed with the decision to withdraw them.

SOURCE = Reuters

———————————————————————————

———————————————————————————

U.S. Ousts 21 Saudi Military Personnel After Florida Killings Deemed ‘Act of Terror’

January 13, 2020

Twenty-one Saudi military cadets undergoing U.S. training will be ousted following an investigation into the fatal shooting of three Americans by a Saudi officer at a Florida naval base that U.S. Attorney General William Barr on Monday branded an act of terrorism. The December 6 attack brought fresh complications to U.S.-Saudi relations at a time of heightened tensions between the United States and Iran, Saudi Arabia’s regional rival. A deputy sheriff shot dead the gunman, Saudi Air Force Second Lieutenant Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, in the Pensacola, Florida, incident Barr said 21 Saudi cadets were “disenrolled from their training curriculum” in the U.S. military and would leave the United States later on Monday after an investigation showed they either had child pornography or social media accounts containing Islamic extremist or anti-American content.

During a news conference, Barr – the top U.S. law enforcement official – said there was no evidence of assistance by other Saudi trainees or that any of them had knowledge in advance of the attack. “This was an act of terrorism,” Barr said. “The evidence showed that the shooter was motivated by jihadist ideology. During the course of the investigation, we learned that the shooter posted a message on September 11 of this year stating, ‘The countdown has begun.'” Barr added that Alshamrani also visited the New York City memorial to the victims of the September 11, 2001, attacks on the United States and posted anti-American, anti-Israeli and jihadi messages on social media, including two hours before the attack.

SOURCE = Haaretz

———————————————————————————

———————————————————————————

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s